Holiday Hazards to Your Pet

Along with the holidays and cold weather, come many hazards to pets. Leader of The Pack wants to help keep your pet safe, here are some quick and easy tips to keep in mind this year!

  • Be aware of Yuletide plants and floral arrangements that can be harmful to pets.  Holly berries, lilies and mistletoe, when ingested, can cause diarrhea, nausea and vomiting in pets.
  • Decorations such as ribbons, tinsel, and breakable ornaments can cause serious intestinal problems if swallowed.   Place electrical cords and loose wires out of reach of a puppy that chews.
  • Christmas tree water may contain fertilizer that can cause an upset stomach if ingested.  Also, stagnant tree water may contain bacteria, which will also lead to digestive problems.
  • Keep candles out of reach of your pets.  Put the candles out if you leave a room.  Make sure that candles are in an appropriate stable holder.
  • New Year noisemakers and confetti can pose a danger if ingested by your pet.  Also, be aware that the noise can frighten your pet causing your pet to bolt out the front door.
  • If you’re traveling with your pet, pack copies of your pet’s license number, rabies certificate, and other vaccination records.  Pack current photographs of your dog in case your dog gets lost.
  • Avoid feeding you dog alcoholic beverages, avocados, chocolate, coffee, macadamia nuts, onions, raisins, grapes and yeast dough.

Leave a Reply